- KDI stands in 1st place among leading national think tanks in Asia for 5 consecutive years -
□ Korea Development Institute (KDI) ranked 5th among the global top 10 of non-US think tanks and 18th among the top think tanks worldwide (US and non-US) in the 2017 Global Go To Think Tank Index Report, released on 30th January by the Think Tanks and Civil Societies Program (TTCSP) at the University of Pennsylvania.
○ KDI’s has ranked 1st place among the leading think tanks in Asia for 5 consecutive years, confirming its stance as a global think tank.
○ Once again, KDI ranked 1st in the ‘Top International Development Think Tanks’ category, surpassing the Brookings Institution (US) and Chatham House (UK). Its ranking significantly rose in the following categories as well; best-managed (11th→5th), outstanding policy-oriented research programs (15th→6th), and domestic economic policy (16th→10th).
KDI’s Ranking in Key Categories
Top Think Tanks Worldwide (Non-US)
Top Think Tanks Worldwide (US and non-US)
Top Think Tanks in China, India, Japan, and the Republic of Korea
Top International Development Think Tanks
Top Domestic Economic Policy Think Tanks
Top International Economics Think Tanks
Top Social Policy Think Tanks
Think Tanks with the Most Significant Impact on Public Policy
Think Tanks with Outstanding Policy-Oriented Research Programs
□ TTCSP, led by James G. McGann, Professor at the University of Pennsylvania, has released the comprehensive ranking of global think tanks since 2006. The ranking is based on the compiled data and recommendations by scholars, policy makers, journalists and field experts from around the world and online surveys and expert panel evaluation results.
○ In the 2017 Report, 7,800 think tanks were evaluated by approximately 3,750 experts from various fields.
○ Evaluation criteria included; researchers’ capabilities; financial stability; institutional leadership; quality and dissemination of research outcomes; seminars; application of research outcomes on policies; and citation by media and academic journals, etc.
□ “KDI will continue to contribute to the formation of national economic policies through its practical policy research. Moreover, it will strengthen joint research and its network with foreign institutions to solidify its stance as a globally-recognized research institution,” said Yong-Seong Kim, Acting President of KDI.
□ KDI is to host the ‘Annual Forum on 2017 Global Go To Think Tank Index Report Launch: Why Think Tanks Matter’ at 3 p.m. on Tuesday, January 30 together with KIEP and TTCSP where ‘The Importance and Role of Think Tanks’ and ‘Global Issues and South Korea’s Response Measures’ will be presented.