Press Release KDI Seminar on the Publication of KOREAN MIRACLE Ⅴ March 29, 2019
KDI Seminar on the Publication of KOREAN MIRACLE ⅤMarch 29, 2019
- Venue: Royal Room (7FL), Koreana Hotel, Seoul
- Host: KDI (Jeong Pyo Choi, KDI President), Publication Committee for Narratives of the Korean Economic Miracle (Jeung-hyun Yoon, Chairman)
KDI and the Publication Committee for Narratives of the Korean Economic Miracle held a seminar to commemorate the publication of the newest edition of its multi-volume series, KOREAN MIRACLE V (in Korean) and the English version of KOREAN MIRACLE Ⅳ: Riding Over the Waves of the Foreign Exchange Crisis.
KOREAN MIRACLE V is composed of two parts: ‘The Perilous Journey of Korea’s Social Insurance’ and ‘Creating a Risk- and Innovation-centric Venture Ecosystem.’ The first tells the story behind the introduction and implementation of Korea’s four major social insurance programs—pension, health insurance, employment insurance, and workers’ accident compensation insurance. And, provides a narrative on the efforts made in establishing social safety nets for people who were denied the benefits of the nation’s splendid industrialization.
The second part shares the experiences and insights of the country’s leading contributors to venture business and presents the path to creating an ideal venture ecosystem. The book explores not only the works of venture entrepreneurs who took risks and play a pivotal role in the 21st century’s knowledge and information society, but also their partnerships with the public sector, including the Ministry of Commerce Industry and Energy (now Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy) and the Office of SMEs Promotion (now Ministry of SMEs and Startups).
KOREAN MIRACLE Ⅳ: Riding Over the Waves of the Foreign Exchange Crisis (English) contains the memoirs of front runners, such as former ministers Kyu-sung Lee, Bong-Kyun Kang, Hun-Jai Lee and Nyum Jin, who worked assiduously to overcome the 1997 Asian Crisis. History is unfolded through anecdotes on the policy decisions and efforts of the then working-level officials, including the Minister of the Office for Government Policy Coordination Byoung Woo Ahn, Minister of Planning and Budget (now Ministry of Economy and Finance) Byong-il Kim and Financial Supervisory Commission (now Financial Supervisory Service) Chairman Yong Duk Kim.
The seminar was attended by former Minister of Economy and Finance Jeung-hyun Yoon, former Prime Minister Duck-soo Han, KDI President Jeong Pyo Choi, Chairman of Korea Credit Guarantee Fund and former Minister of Policy Coordination Dae-hee Yoon, Chairman of the Korea International Trade Association and former Minister of Commerce Industry and Energy Young Ju Kim, former chairman of the Financial Services Commission Seok-dong Kim, former chief economic advisor to the Presidential Office Kim Chong-in and former Minister of Health and Welfare Cha Hong-Bong.
List of Contents KOREAN MIRACLE Ⅴ (Korean)
The Perilous Journey of Korea’s Social Insurance
○ Prologue. Seven Decades of Korea’s Social Insurance System
○ Chapter 1. Adoption of the National Pension Scheme, Raising the Flag
○ Chapter 2. Establishing the Principles of Social Security
○ Chapter 3. Laying the Cornerstone for the National Pension Act
○ Chapter 4. Seeking the Integration of Health Insurance
○ Chapter 5. Integrating Health Insurance: Uncompleted
○ Chapter 6. Debating the Need for Health Insurance for the First Time
○ Chapter 7. Employment Insurance, a Relief Pitcher in the Foreign Exchange Crisis
○ Chapter 8. Korea’s First Social Insurance: Industrial Accident Compensation Insurance
○ Chapter 9. Economic Growth and Social Development: Two Cogs in a Wheel
○ Epilogue. Future Agenda for Korea’s Social Insurance System
Creation of Motivated and Innovative Venture Ecosystem
○ Prologue. Dawning of the Digital Era
○ Chapter 1. Beginnings of Korea’s Self-motivated Venture Business
○ Chapter 2. Venture Business at the Forefront of Overcoming the Foreign Exchange Crisis
○ Chapter 3. A Cyber Parallel World Opens Wide
○ Chapter 4. The Light and Darkness of Financial Venture Business
○ Chapter 5. An Era of Revolutionary IT Communication
○ Chapter 6. The Ice Age of Venture Business in the New Millennium
○ Chapter 7. Return of the Venture Business
○ Chapter 8. Crossing the Darwinian Sea
○ Epilogue. Fourth Industrial Revolution and Agendas to Foster Venture Firms
*Be advised that the above list of contents for KOREAN MIRACLE Ⅴ is a translated version and should be used for reference only.
KOREAN MIRACLE Ⅳ: Riding Over the Waves of the Foreign Exchange Crisis (English)
○ Prologue. Typhoon of the 1997 Foreign Exchange Crisis
○ Chapter 1. At the Forefront of Overcoming the Foreign Exchange Crisis
○ Chapter 2. Reform Ideals Shine in the Midst of the Crisis
○ Chapter 3. Open a Wide Path for Finance
○ Chapter 4. Creating a New Paradigm for Public Sector Reform
○Epilogue. The Second Take-off of the Korean Economy and Achievements in the External Sector
* If you have questions, please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
We reject unauthorized collection of email addresses posted on our website by using email address collecting programs or other technical devices. To access the email address, please type in the characters exactly as they appear in the box below.
Please enter the security code to prevent unauthorized information collection.